Home  /  General  /  Monitoring System
General

Monitoring System

We would love to see some kind of network monitoring system (hosted by LBL or cloud) available for all Districts to see. This would help us find where the point of failure is whenever there are network issues. I know it would take a lot of coordination but I’m just adding it to my wish list. Of course that all of this depends on how the topology of your network is setup on your end.

It can be something as simple as having something like PRTG/SolarWinds/Zabbix pinging each of the Districts’ firewalls showing when things are down or of there is packet loss. I feel that this would save Districts so much time when trying to find if it’s an internal network issue, LBL issue or LS Networks issue. It would also be beneficial for you since we wouldn’t have to call your tech support or chatting you during and outage asking if it’s LBL or LS networks. It would help us send out more detailed communication to staff letting them know where the issue is.

*Example: Network outage
Our internal network seems fine and I am able to ping other school buildings. At this point it could be the line between LBL and us, LBL or LS networks. If we had a monitoring system showing that you are able to ping other districts then we would now right away that the issue is with the line between us and LBL (comcast). If the monitoring system shows that you are able to ping other districts (including us) but there is no internet then we would assume that LS Networks is the issue. I am sure that there are other scenarios and factors to this but again….One can only dream 🙂

Open Topic
2