Home School Homepage | Contact Information
Different Types of Home Schooling
LBL ESD is not able to provide curriculum, books or materials to home schooling families. Parents have full
responsibility and freedom to design their child’s education. There are many ways of educating at home and this is short summary of some of the more popular styles. LBL ESD does not endorse any specific curriculum or home
schooling method. This information is provided for your information only.
- School At Home - A public school style environment at home, with a complete curriculum, traditional grading
system and record keeping.
- Distance Education – Parents can choose courses or programs from companies and schools that offer teaching
assistance and learning materials to a student learning at home.
- Unschooling – The central philosophy of this home school style is child-directed learning. Children determine
what they learn, when they learn, how they learn, and why they learn.
- Eclectic Home schooling – A mixed style of home school where parents pick and choose from the different
approaches and methods of home schooling, and takes from each what works best for their family at the time.
- Unit Studies – A style where the student studies a topic in-depth for a period of time, and includes many areas
of learning within that topic (science, social studies, language arts, math, and fine arts, etc) as they apply.
- Classical Method – This style is a three-part process of training the mind. The early grades are spent in
absorbing facts; in the middle grades, students learn to think through arguments; and high school students learn
to express themselves.